I am hosting a residency at The Square Root in Roslindale, MA.
Local songwriters and performers present original songs in a stripped-down, low-key format. The focus is on songcraft and community – bringing people together in a safe, intimate setting for a set of enjoyable evenings once/month.
Here’s the concept: Each night of the residency, I perform a solo set of original songs – and feature a guest songwriter/performer to perform a set too. These guests are curated from the diverse creative talent we have here in the local Boston music scene – some of the best and/or most promising local songwriters.
The focus is squarely rooted (sorry, I couldn’t resist) on the songwriting. I want to hear what smart people have to say. Lyrics are the first to be lost in a full band format, so I wanted this series to be different.
The Square Root is the perfect place for such a series. Roslindale is a community that values the arts, and they show up to listen and participate in this venue that is central to the community and committed to the arts.
A monthly series of curated solo (and duo) performers presenting original songs in a low-key, low-volume to bring focus to the songwriting.
- Venue: The Square Root 2 Corinth St, Roslindale MA
- Cadence: One Friday per month, starting 2/18/22
- Time: Doors at 8pm, first act: 9pm 2nd act: 10pm
- 21+, shows proof of vax/negative test required for entry (card/pic + ID)
- No cover charge; tips for the artists are encouraged and appreciated
This is a mission of creativity and community. I believe that art is one of the ways we will solve our culture’s current challenges. Art has the ability to connect and touch the heart directly. Music can bypass defenses and excuses and make people feel something.
And I know that change won’t happen on its own – we need to bring people together, strengthen the bonds in our communities, and experience each other. Change starts with listening.
Art is many things; to me it is communication and empathy. I am a local songwriter and performer myself, and my recent songs have a mission: To take part in finding a “cure” for our culture’s cancer. Creativity is an act of hope, a way to bring us together to see and solve today’s challenges.
I know that I can’t change anyone’s mind; I can only offer my experience. We don’t convince anyone; people come to their own realizations. And we have to respect them enough to do so. Being pushy about it is off-putting and disrespectful.
I never expect the privilege of someone’s attention. But I hope to use the privilege I have to invite someone into a potentially new way of seeing an issue. This is an act of hope and trust.
I live in this community, and want to contribute to making Roslindale a great place to live and work. Our main mission with this series is to create an experience for our guests and participants. Because we want this to be and feel like a community event, there is no cover charge. Anyone is welcome to attend. We will encourage tips for the performers – on site and via Venmo, CashApp, etc.
We want this to be a safe environment. These are 21+ shows so that performers have creative freedom, and so that guests can enjoy an adult beverage or two. We encourage everyone to be respectful of the staff and other patrons.
Info For Artists
NOTE: The 2022 program is complete, so I’m not taking submissions at this time. Please subscribe for if/when I’ll be taking submissions for the 2023 program.
Guidelines for Submission
- Solo acts only / duos accepted, but no full bands
- Low-key, low-volume to focus on your songs
- Original songs only. One cover is acceptable to highlight another songwriter
- Submit one link to a live video performance that highlights your songwriting
- Include a link to your EPK and links to your key social profiles (see below)
- Provide a list of upcoming shows so I can come see you perform live
- You must have one full set of original songs (45 min) to be considered
Please submit here with all of the above info: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Considerations for Artists
- No cover charge, we want these to feel like community events
- Guest artists will be paid for their performance
- Tips for the artists will be encouraged as well
Requirements (EPK etc.)
You must supply standard press kit material for promotion:
- Preferred stage name
- Promo photo (performing, preferably)
- Short bio with link to your preferred primary channel
- A list of links for tips: Venmo, CashApp, PayPal, Patreon
- A list of links for social sharing: IG, TikTok, Twitter, FB
Photo Credit: The Wonderful Ms. Donna 💙 Used with permission. Changed from original: Text overlays.